Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Entries to start…NOW

Yes, yes it’s time to hear all about what’s Wat doing. First off, I had quite a lovely Christmas in LA. Met up with a lot of old friends for some grub, some I last saw maybe 15+ years ago. That’s right, 15 years ago. Totally crazy. Kimi and I spent time with our families and had way too much food.

On our drive from the Bay Area down to LA, seemingly out of nowhere Kimi blurted out "Red Elvises?", which totally shocked me until a Red Elvises tour van passed us. Then it was my turn to shock Kimi as I told her I used be a big fan of theirs. It all started over six years ago when a little movie called Six String Samurai was getting some buzz. Any post-apocolyptic tale about a wandering dude with geeky glasses and a guitar that housed a sword is right up my alley so I was psyched. The movie turned out to be pretty lame, but the soundtrack packed with songs by the Red Elvises was awesome. How can you say no to surf rocky tunes with cheesy lyrics and a heavy Russian accent. In any case, the last album of theirs I purchased was Better than Sex released in 1999. It turns out they have been cranking out new albums practically every year since then. I'll have to download some of the free MP3s off their site to see if I can still be done with their vibe. It does appear they do more stuff in Russian now, which could be interesting.

There are quite a few more tales to tell, but I'll finish off this entry with two drinks I brought back. One is Heisal Plum and it basically tastes like non-alcohalic plum wine. Delicious enough that I bought this huge bottled version. The other is a special Matthew's Best Hit TV drink apply named Matthews Best Hit Soda. The blonde hair guy look familiar? That's right, it's the show Bill Murray suffered through in Lost in Translation. There are several bottle variations showcasing a different outfit for the intrepid Matthew. It tastes like a sweeter version of Mitsuya cider or the tradditional Ramune (the soda that comes in the bottle with the marble). If you've never had either of those, imagine 7up that is slightly sweeter and flavoredwith a light citrus twist. Well, it's sort of like that.


No comments: