Tuesday, June 14, 2005

World Cup fever!


Last week, Japan was the first non-host country to qualify for the 2006 World Cup. It’s amazing how they’ve started to turn things around considering how the team has stumbled in recent months. Of course this means I’ll be playing a ton more Winning Eleven once all the qualifying teams are finalized. Why not simulate the action on FIFA you ask? I’d be more than happy to since if the FIFA games had the Japan squad. I’ve squawked endlessly about it in past reviews, but what’s the percentage of US soccer fans who are genuinely upset about it? I wish I had the answer, but I know there are at least two in the Oakland area. The reply I get is they try every year, but there is some crazy license issues with the Japanese Football Association. I can understand why they might have trouble getting the rights to the J-League (the Japanese MLS), but the national team? The fact that they add something like 100 obscure teams for every new FIFA installments is like lemon in the wound.

That’s not to say I don’t still play a lot of both games, but I would say the ratio I play Winning Eleven to FIFA is like 4 to 1. Even so, there are times when Winning Eleven games (never known for a huge assortment of teams) don’t have certain teams either that make simulating a particular World Cup impossible.

Since we’re on the topic of sports, the CNN I had on in the background just announced Phil Jackson is returning to coach the LA Lakers. Holy crap. I didn’t think he would do that. Posted by Hello

No comments: