Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Battlestar Get


I’ve finished the first season of Battlestar Galactica and the verdict is…awesome. The story plays out more like an Anime series than standard western-style sci-fi. A lot of it reminded me of Robotech and Gundam. I didn't know there was a previous miniseries (available on DVD right now) setting up the story of Battlestar Galactica, so I had to run out and rent it before I watched the recorded shows.


I might still buy the first season DVD set if there are good extras, but the visual difference between the miniseries on DVD and the HD broadcast of season one was huge. You can see every crater in Edward James Olmos’ face. Oddly, the HD marathon show was not broadcast in true 5.1, so the DVD definitely sounded better. I’m definitely psyched for the start of the second season this Friday. Sean tells me I need to watch Firefly, especially since the big screen follow up is coming soon. We’ll see.

I also finally sat through Resident Evil Apocalypse. I didn’t like the first one very much, but was pleasantly surprised with this follow up. It was very nice to see the movie incorporate scenes inspired by the game, specifically the opening cinema from Codename Veronica. Maybe my expectations were in check so I can just ignore the absolute ridiculous moments. Maybe I was wowed since I watched it in HD (I think it was on the Cinemax HD channel). I have to admit what really put the movie over the top was the addition of Jill Valentine.

I was baffled when I first heard the news that there would be not just one, but two more RE movies coming, but now I’m actually looking forward to them…when they appear on DVD. I’m not excited enough to pay theater prices just yet. Give me some credit.

3 comments:

Tim Ng said...

Grace Park is HOOOOTTTTT!

Wataru Maruyama said...

Hahaha, I have to agree. But only because there are many copies of her. Clones are just hot by nature.

Tim Ng said...

Common, you did see that Maxim spread right?