Thursday, August 11, 2005

Big month for portables


I’ve prepared my wallet for quite a handheld assault as Nintendogs, Advance Wars DS, and Namco Museum PSP see release this month. I also still need to pick up Meteos, Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones and Astro Boy for the GBA. I was thinking I should wait on Advance Wars DS and play AW: Black Hole Rising for the GBA first. Then I thought I may save Black Hole for the GameBoy Micro or just play it on the Gamecube GBA player later. Who knows. I’m also on the fence whether to pick up Jump Superstars. I got to play it earlier this week (ah the advantages to working in an office full of games again) and it was quite a blast.

Getting back to that Namco collection, it got me thinking I would really like a lot more retro anthologies released for the PSP. From what I’ve played of the Japanese Namco PSP collection, the emulation is flawless and the graphics are ultra crisp (the US version has 10 additonal games!). I’m tempted to pick up the PSP Midway Treasures 3, but there aren't a lot of classics I would still spend time with. WiFi Gauntlet and Mortal Kombat 1 -3 sounds like a good time…we’ll see. The game I really want to see make it to the PSP is Taito Memories. Volume One was recently released for the Japanese PlayStation 2 and it’s loaded with gems, plus a whole slew of titles I never played before. I played a bit of Phil’s copy and it totally rocks. I just can’t find it in me to play it on a home console, retro titles work better for me on the road for some reason.

Also shipping sometime this month is the Zen Vision portable media player. It’s not perfect, but it’s the best of its kind I’ve seen yet. I fondled one in the officer the other day and decided I need one.

EB has apparently leaked a list of Xbox 360 launch titles that seems semi-accurate. I’m actually surprised by how many titles I would consider buying. Top five potential purchases would be DOA 4 (okay this one is an absolute given), Elder Scrolls IV, NBA 2K6 or NBA Live, Madden, and Ghost Recon. Games on the bubble are Need for Speed, Ridge Racer (this one may become a must have, but I’ve seen nothing solid on it), Perfect Dark, Call of Duty 2, and FIFA soccer. I’m quite interested in many of the other 20+ games on the list, rentals I guess. If I end up buying more than three games with the system, it would be the most money I’ve ever spent on a system launch. The current record is still $400 for a Japanese launch Saturn with Panzer Dragoon and Virtua Fighter. With games expected to go for $59.99 a pop, grabbing the system and my top five would be like $700! That's before taxes. Then again, the 3DO cost almost that much with no games included. Apples to oranges I know, just trying to convince myself it's worth it.

No comments: