Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Very late to the party, but…


All it took was a plain looking remote stick to make me desperately want a Nintendo Revolution. I'm ready to say it's my #1 most wanted console at this moment. Of course I’m still excited about 360 and PS3, but controlling games in such a new way is ridiculously exciting. So will this odd controller truly spark a revolution and bring in new gamers? As a pseudo experiment, I’ve shown the TGS Revolution video exclusively to women (in the office and my wife at home) and they all “got it” immediately. I find myself waving around pens to simulate how I would play certain games. It is a little sad.

Speaking of Nintendo, I was surprised to read on the message boards that new GBA SPs in stores now are backlit. Previous ones were sidelit so they’re not nearly as bright. There’s a big tag on the new boxes indicating the new feature. The only reason I wanted a Micro was for a brighter screen, so I would much rather buy a backlit SP. I also don’t really enjoy playing GBA games on the DS, so I mostly play on my NES edition SP. I doubt they will re-release that version just to add backlighting, which sucks because I LOVE that one.

UPDATE: I went over and tried one of the new SPs in the office. Holy cripes the screen is bright. There are two settings, bright and super bright. Colors are a little saturated at the higher setting, but it looks damn good. Definitely need to get one eventually.

Autumn Grand Sumo Tournament

Day 11 has finished and Bulgarian sekiwake Kotooshu is still undefeated. Local Japanese TV news only shows the top four or five matches, so I’m not as wrapped up in the excitement as I usually would be. True story: At the height of my enthusiasm many years ago, I bought a sumo game for the Megadrive (the Japanese Sega Genesis) and ended up having to buy an import system just to play it. Earlier import Megadrive games were playable with an adapter with the US system, but later titles had region coding built into the carts. The saddest part was the game totally sucked. I played the hell out of it anyway. I was never the same again.

Worldly Troubles

There’s a lot to make one worry in the world, but a real nuclear threat would have to be tops on the list. It was welcome news this past Monday when North Korea agreed to scrap all nuke programs in a 6 nations deal. BUT, one day later, North Korea totally backed out and made brand new demands. It’s this sort of unstable relations that make the world nervous, and continues to show why that area is where all the WMD attention should have been in the first place.

I didn’t know anyone personally affected by Katrina, but I do know quite a few people who will be caught in the middle of Rita. As we all know, the endangered areas are not bowl shaped and won’t fill up like a pool, but hurricanes do all kinds of crazy damage aside from flooding.

No comments: