Friday, October 07, 2005

Life goes on.

My dad passed away about two weeks ago. There’s been so many surreal moments. Mostly positive, like when I was putting on my tie before the funeral. I vividly remember when my dad taught me how to do that properly. Watching the baseball playoffs, I recall the first game he took me to, and the many games of catch in the backyard. I took a week off, but have been back in the office all this week. I wasn’t sure about going to work so soon, but it’s certainly been helpful to keep busy and focused on something. Support from family (especially my wife), friends, and coworkers have been tremendous.

The night before I left for the funeral in Japan, I grabbed the new backlit GBA (the blackish one). Without a doubt, it is one of the best things I ever bought. Sure I was tempted by the Micro, but I play a lot of Advance Wars and Fire Emblem so the greater the screen size, the better (although playing on TVs with the GameCube player is a bit too big and washed out). I’ve heard many folks proclaim they have fallen in love with the GBA all over again because of the Micro. Ditto for me, except it was the backlit GBA SP that did it. Actually, I’ve never been as excited about GBA game as I am now. It makes that much of a difference.

Oddly enough, I’ve also found comfort in Killer 7. The world in that game is so bizarre, it’s easy to lose myself in it. Upon Tim’s recommendation, I took on a work-related project that would require me to play Indigo Prophecy. I’m quite looking forward to it.

Most of the 360 news out of X05 is quite exciting too (at least to me anyway). I’m so glad I have an in-store, non-bundled 360 pre-order considering the insanely expensive bundles out here. The top three must have games for me are now NBA 2K6, Elder Scrolls IV, and Dead or Alive 4. People are now saying games will be in short supply too, but I’m not sure if I really want to bother to pre-order. I would rather hop to whatever store starts selling the games the week prior to hardware launch.

So, yeah, games are playing their part in keeping me sane.

Other than that, I just take the days as they come.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sincere condolences on your loss, man.

- Sewart
http://www.gregsewart.com

Tim Ng said...

I'm sorry to hear that Wat, just take things a day at a time.

Tim

Frosty said...

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Please definitely let me know if there is anything I can do to help out.

Jihad Yeti said...

Hey Wat,

I'm really sorry to hear about your dad. Best to you and the family--hope you guys are hanging in there okay.

Frank