Thursday, November 17, 2005

Backward compatibility and 100,000 hits!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
The list of Xbox software that the Xbox 360 will play was released recently and it tops 200 titles. Just like Halo and Halo 2, the games get the benefit of an upconverted signal to 720p or 1080i. Not sure if they do can do widescreen thing like the Halo games, but the improved resolution is enough for me.

So, the combo of better visuals and tons of titles supported had me psyched. That was until I looked over my collection. Out of 23 Xbox games I own, 6 will play on the 360. SIX! And that six include Halo and Halo 2. So four non-Master Chief games. W…T…F….

Dead or Alive 3 works on the 360, but not DOA: Ultimate or DOAXtreme Beach Volleyball. Well, that list is supposed to grow as the weeks go on. Not holding my breath.

So I’m still trying to figure out what game(s) I want for the 360 launch and find myself stuck between genre choices.

Basketball - I love how NBA Live looks. Out of the launch games, it’s probably the best for wowing friends when they come over. But holy hell, the sluggish gameplay is just bad. No features other than a bare bones season mode is supposed to last me till the next version? I don’t think so. The gameplay is not tight enough for me to risk my online rank either. On the other hand, NBA 2K6 is feature packed and plays as solidly as other console versions. The problem is it looks good…sometimes, not so much others. Without a doubt 2K is the superior title both offline and especially online, but man, I really wish it were a better showpiece.

Racing - PGR 3 looks insanely good, but the series never did it for me. Seemed too devoid of personality. Ridge Racer looks sorta so-so, but it’s one series that pushes my buttons in the way I wished PGR did. This is a fairly similar situation to my basketball dilemma actually.

FPS – No doubt Perfect Dark Zero will have great online modes and probably good single player campaign, but Call of Duty 2 is looking better and better with most in agreement it runs better on the 360 than a high-end PC. For sure I’ll only buy one basketball and one racing game, but I may crack and buy both these FPS titles. Of course, to date no one has the final version of PD0 yet so who knows if it’s really any good.

Then again, I think about all the other games I have right now I want to get back to. I finally picked up Gunstar Super Heroes and itching to get to it. For some reason, I started to play that $5 copy of P.N.03 I got from Frys a few months ago and it’s sort of addictive. Plus I’m being hounded by everyone to jump on Mario Kart DS.

Micro-transactions
I haven’t paid very much attention to the marketplace features of the 360 Live service, but the info I’m starting to get caught back on has me psyched. The retro games you can buy on Live Arcade are pretty cool. Four player Gauntlet online or co-op Robotron? Spiffy. Points to buy those things cost money, so I doubt there will be much splurging. That is, until there are things to purchase for DOA 4. Oh man, my wallet is already hurting just thinking about it.

WSOP telecast done
So, I’m very happy that the winner of the 2005 World Series of Poker was not totally spoiled for me before the final telecast this past Tuesday. Don’t worry, I’m not going to say even though the info has been online since the actual tourney ended back in July. There’s an interesting post about spoilers from Sean who has finally launched his blog. Welcome to 2002! I should be one to talk being fairly late to the party too.

100K baby
I didn’t really have any traffic goals when I launched my two (formerly three) blogs, but I did want to eventually reach 100,000 page views. Well my friends, that milestone took place two days ago. Two whole weeks before I reached the one-year anniversary of my first post.

(Note: DOA scan lifeted from a GAF post)

5 comments:

sean said...

Actually, I think blogs are more, like, 1999. It's actually considered "retro cool" now, as they're starting to sell blog t-shirts at Hot Topic.

GET MARIO KART!!!!! My Friend Code is feeling lonely, and I'm sick of playing people online who drop out after they start losing.

Wataru Maruyama said...

I was wondering when blogs came into being. I'm going to still say 2002. so there. Definitly will get it this weekend.

Montry said...

I'm going with 2k6, Call of Duty 2, and PGR3. I got to play Live 06 at Southland recently and while the graphics are truly amazing, the gameplay still doesn't stack up.

Catch me on Xbox Live playing 2k6 next week! My gamer tag will be "easy2kill v360" (if I can even make it that long)

Wataru Maruyama said...

That's a solid line-up of games. I'm starting to really want Condemned lately. Maybe I'll just rent it.

Montry said...

You can borrow it from me. I already got the game but I am probably going to wait until after Christmas to play it when I get a surround sound system. 2 more days!!