Tuesday, January 31, 2006

End o’ January mega round up


The first month of the new year is already at a close. Lots to talk about.

I ended up ordering the PSP Media Manager. Five bucks off, no tax, and free shipping were too good to pass up. I played around with it for like 10 minutes. It seems really cool so far. Very nice interface. Can’t wait to convert some videos.

I got my Elektroplankton the other day. Love it. I knew what I was in for though. Very experimental, quirky, and not much of an actual game. This is the type of “experiment” that makes me really appreciate the DS. Even so, I wish it didn’t cost as much as a “normal” game and it desperately needs some sort of built-in save music feature. The instruction manual is super cool too.

Hilary is convinced that certain copies of DOA4 will render 360s useless. Not even removing the hard drive will restore it. Apparently it’s happened to him and two other people in the office. I haven’t heard anything similar out there on the interweb, but who knows. Might be worth looking into.

I was thinking the other day, “What the heck is Ghost in the Shell creator Masamune Shirow up to these days?” There are tons of fan sites out there, but the Masamune Shirow Hyperpage does a great job of tracking all the latest developments in blog format. He looks to have a very busy year. Exciting.

I’ve read some jaw dropping headlines before, but this one is…wow.

I can’t get these songs out of my head. You won’t regret watching it.

Went to the Warriors game this past Saturday. The tix (really good seats too) were part of the Christmas present from my wife and it totally rocks that they won! I was a bit worried since they had dropped their last four, and three of those were crushing 4th quarter collapses. Plus the Trailblazers won the night before. The bright side was the loss to the Lakers the night prior saw the emergence of rookie Monta Ellis, who again got tons of play time against the Blazers. The Warriors “veterans” are a young group as it is, but the next generation is already looking solid. The recent losses have caused some to call for the firing of coach Mike Montogomery, but that would be a mistake. The man knows how to mold young talent.

Some pretty good releases heading our way in the next two months. A self indulgent look at the titles that excite me the most starts….now:

February

PSP
Winning Eleven 9 – World Cup fever hasn’t quite got me yet. I might wait on this till things start heating up.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Exit – I love the look of this game. Waiting for more info.

DS
Resident Evil: Deadly Silence – I’m not that crazy about playing the same game for like the 50th time, but some of the touch screen stuff looks pretty cool. Hmmmm.

Super Princess Peach – This platformer is looking super hot!

Xbox
King of Fighters Neowave – Love having that feeling of “bringing home the same game as found in the arcade”, but that was true for this series in 1995. Not so much now. May cave though.

King of Fighters 94 Rebout – I have the fondest memories of the 94 version, so this one has a shot at joining my bookshelf.

March

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
GBA
Tales of Phantasia – I think I’ll really want to play it eventually and it’s the type of game (RPG on an aging system) that will be hard to get at a reasonable price later.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
PS2
Shadow Hearts: From the New World – I actually finished Shadow Hearts: Covenant last night. Very cool. It was nice finishing a long game. I hear New World is much shorter to the tune of 25-30 hours vs. the 40-60 hours of Covenant. Might jump on it eventually.

DS
Metroid Prime: Hunters – I’m kinda lukewarm on this one. Probably won’t pick this up until I have the other few DS titles on my list first.

PSP
From Russia with Love – The console versions got mediocre reviews, so I don’t expect a whole lot from this one. I do love that it’s portable and Sean Connery is still the man.

Monster Hunter Freedom – Character design and the look of the world is appealing to me. Seems like the sort of hack/slash and stat building that is perfect for a portable system.

Metal Gear Acid 2 – I popped the first one in for like 2 minutes, but I knew the card system and crazy story were right up my alley. Will wait to finish it before jumping into this one.

Xbox 360
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter – I hope this turns out as good as it looks. The online bits should be cool too.

Burnout Revenge – Now all those hours playing Burnout can earn me some achievements. Sweet.

Elder Scolls IV: Oblivion – My enthusiasm goes up and down for this one. Fingers are firmly crossed it’ll be fun. Hopefully this doesn't get delayed again.

Rumble Roses XX – If this actually ships in the US in March, there will be no happier person in Alameda. Currently slated for “Spring 2006”. Make it happen Konami!

No comments: