Friday, February 10, 2006

To Blu-ray or not Blu-ray: aka The early adopter itch.


It's official, Blu-ray discs are going to be more expensive than DVDs. Sony announced that catalog titles will wholesale for $17.95 and new releases will wholesale for $23.45. Retailers are free to charge what they like on top of that, so I’m thinking the catalog will go for $24.99 and new releases anywhere from $34.99 to $29.99. Combine that fact with the reality of initial price points for most HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc players are confirmed to be around the $1000 level. Toshiba will have two players that are somewhat more affordable at $799 and $499, but that’s still a healthy chunk of change. I’m usually an early adopter (bought a DVD player within the first year of availability), but there’s just no way I’ll get a stand alone player having just bought a 360 and eventually a PS3 and Nintendo Revolution (and now the redesigned DS…ooh).

I’ve been enjoying HD movies on digital cable, so it’s not like I’m starving for HD entertainment. Just have to force myself to be patient until the PS3 comes out before buying some Blu-ray discs. Even then, I’m sure the first batch won’t have as many special features so they can re-release the same movie for like the fifth time. The only drawback to my PS3 plan is that Warner Bros. movies will only be in the HD-DVD format (at least until one format pulls way ahead). That means no Lord of the Rings or Matrix for a while.

Another potential hurdle is the copy protection for both formats. According to The Digital Bits and other sources, the players will only pump out the full 1080i signals through HDMI cables. Early adopters like myself with HDTVs sans HDMI are likely out of luck (I do have DVI though, so might be able to find a work around).


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Speaking of HD, I was never even remotely tempted by the myriad of tiny video cameras that record to SD cards. That was until I saw the upcoming Sanyo Xacti VPC – HD1 that records in 720p widescreen! The more amazing thing was that you can fit 21 minutes of HD video on a 1GB SD card, 42 minutes on a 2GB card. That’s pretty damn good. To cap things off, it takes 5.1 megapixel snapshots and has a 10x zoom. Very nice. Still, I’m not sure what I would take video of. The HD1 is $799 and a 2GB SD card can be found online for $95-150. Adds up enough that it’s not a purchase you just rush into. That price means it better serve some actual purpose other than “wow this is so cool I want it and I may use it for something eventually”.

5 comments:

Montry said...

When are HD-DVD players going to be released? I am tempted to buy one just to see LOTR in HD. This is really going to be an expensive year...there are still a lot of games that I still need to get, add in the ps3, blu ray movies, the revolution, and games for all three next gen systems. I need to start saving...

Wataru Maruyama said...

Sometime between March and April. Think some places might have dates, but I haven't checked yet.

Montry said...

Hey Wat. I heard that Warner Bros. are indeed supporting Blu Ray. Hopefully it's true cause then I'll pass on HD-DVD.

Tim Ng said...

Hey Wat, sign the petition to save J-town! Tell your friends!
http://www.petitiononline.com/jtown/petition.html

Wataru Maruyama said...

Woah that's crazy. I'll start forwarding the petition.