Friday, March 10, 2006

Pre-emptive GBA purchase


I’m not sure when I’ll be able to play it, but I picked up Tales of Phantasia for the GBA today. My spider senses tell me this has a good chance of becoming scarce down the road, and eventually I’ll really want to play it. I’m tempted to fire it up now actually, but there really isn’t enough time to commit to a RPG right now. There’s barely enough to make sure this blog doesn’t go too long without an update.

Speaking of time commitments, there’s no doubt I’ll be sinking whatever I have into GRAW. It looks damn sweet every time I see someone playing it in the office. Burnout 360 looks hot too and Oblivion is right around the corner. My long hiatus from the 360 is about to end. Yes, it’s true, I’ve barely touched my 360 in over a month. I’m scared to see how many friends have zoomed past my gamerscore and rankings in Geometry Wars. It just can’t be helped. Work is super hectic and my game time has been sucked up by the DS. Those damn Nintendogs still have me going, my Animal Crossing town is being tended to, and I’ll randomly pop in fare like Elektroplankton or Rub Rabbits (which I also just picked up).

DS time will surely increase whenever I can score a DS Lite. My pre-order for the import one is stalled due to jacked up prices, so might have to actually wait for the official US release. Guess it depends on if they’ll offer the dark blue color at launch here.

TRU
Many Toys R Us stores around the country are closed now (there are maybe two left in my area, down from five). They had been slowly reducing prices till a final blow out. During the 30% off phase, I was scored Castlevania DS. After that, I forgot to check in till the last gasp 90% off phase. Barely anything was left except there was still a thick stack of Baten Kaitos GC. The price was $29.99, so it was down to a shocking $2.99. Wow. I wonder where all these popped out from? There was a period this game was considered rare, but that’s definitely not the case anymore.

5 comments:

Montry said...

Hey Wat. I really wanted a DS Lite also, especially knowing how much better GBA games looked on a GBA SP 2 and Micro compared to the first model of the GBA SP. But, I put in my preorder a little to late at Lik-Sang.com and after reading about the crazy demand for it in Japan, I decided to cancel my order and wait for a little bit. I might try to order again next month.

By the way, are you also considering picking up the Toshiba HD-DVD player when it is released later this month? Since I don't have cable television, I don't get much use out of my HDTV other than HD gaming on the 360. Long story short, I have been dying to see HD content and I am pretty set on getting it now.

Wataru Maruyama said...

I would wait. I mean, the cheapest Toshiba HD-DVD player is $499. That's a lot of money for a fancy DVD player. Plus, it's almost sure that the first batch of discs will be sub-standard and will get future "remastered" or "special" editions in the future.

If the format wars goes the way people expect, you'll end up with no new DVDs to buy in 2-3 years too. The outlook is bleak.

Concentrate on saving money for all the stuff coming out this year. Or if you really want HD movies, 1 year sub to HD cable is far less than $499, even after adding some type of DVR/Tivo service to tape them.

Montry said...

Thats true. What kind of set up do you have at your place? I am sort of lost on where to start getting HD cable and all the accessories that come with it.

Wataru Maruyama said...

Alameda has its own cable service so I use that. Outside of this area, the choices are either Comcast, Direct TV, or maybe Voom. Comcast has the best selection, but their prices are the highest for good packages. Direct TV is a bit more affordable, but I haven't done much research on them.

Whatever cable service you sign up for, they will provide the accessories like cables and a DVR.

I'd look up Comcast to check their prices, then start bargain shopping from there. Who do you use for Internet service? Usually, the deal for both internet and cable TV is a better value.

Montry said...

I have Comcast as my internet server. I was actually on the Comcast website yesterday looking at there cable deals and the set up process seems really easy but the prices were really high. It was something like $82 a month for the Digital Servince + HD content.

I'm still somewhat on the fence though, Blu-Ray should be better than HD-DVD for the simple fact that they have way more studio support and everyone will have a PS3. Plus, if I skip on the HD-DVD player, I can get a DS Lite and some games instead. But I don't know, I guess I'll wait to see what people have to say about HD-DVD when it is actually released.