Monday, May 08, 2006

PS3 details first reaction


So $599 for the system with 60Gig hard drive and $499 for the 29 Gig version (with slightly less features is the initial word is correct). The controller looks like the PS2 one, but with tilt sensitivity among other features. The tilt is quite a nice surprise that I'm sure was implemented after the Wii controller was shown. It's no substitue for all the potential innovations and simplicity the Wii controller promises though. I like the black better than the silver for a launch system. Too bad they’re still using the Spiderman font.

Before this press conference, I was 100% going to pre-order a PS3, no question about it. Now that I know the price and see some games that are further along, I’m not so sure. Don’t get me wrong, I believe the $599 is still a good deal. It’s $400 ($500 if you actually wanted just 20 Gigs) less than the first batch of Blu-ray players.

It’s going to come down to how the games on the show floor hit me. Are the games going to be so much better from the 360 that a console is worth $200/$100 more? We’ll see.

It’s been a while since I’ve been THIS amped to get into the show to play some games. No doubt the first booth to hit is going to be Nintendo, but the Sony booth is going to be hot too (I hope).

I do think the price point leaves the door open for Xbox 360. If Microsoft got aggressive and lowered the 20Gig premium pack to $299 by November…oh baby. We’ll have a real battle.

Anyway, I can’t wait to see what Nintendo and MS have to show at their events.

3 comments:

Shaun Carter said...

I'm going to have to start saving up now... they're really gonna milk us for every penny on this one. I'll bet the games are gonna run $70 a piece too.

Wataru Maruyama said...

You said it man, seriously, $70 is probably going to happen. I mean, blank recordable Blu-ray discs will be selling for $30-50! BLANK DISCS!

Agh...

Montry said...

Hope your having fun Wat! I have been watching the press conferences online and I must admit that I am a bit dissapointed with what Sony has showed. The Nintendo press conference today on the other hand, completely blew me away! The Wii looks amazing.

I'm still going to get both systems though, it's just a matter of saving up now...