Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Why so many games?


In the midst of whipping up a list of games to look for during an upcoming Japan trip, it occurred to me to do some soul searching on whether I need them at all. I have less time to game these days, so I have to be more selective of game purchases. The choices will be tough just amongst the abundant domestic holiday offerings without complicating things with import software. That lead to listing out exactly what is on the radar.

The first list was way massive. After pairing it down to titles most likely to get purchased, it was still way too large. The sick part is that Wii stuff isn’t even in the mix yet. Thank goodness I’m not tempted by the PS3…yet. I don’t even want to think about all the games that are already out that I still want.

The funny thing is I thought I was becoming more of a casual gamer over the years. I do devote more time to read a ton of books, playing sports, etc. I guess the urge for gaming in my life is still pretty deep rooted. What has changed is my tolerance for certain games have become much lower. I no longer have to beat a game no matter what. When the challenge outstripped the fun in recent titles like Perfect Dark Zero, GRAW, and Prey, I just stopped playing them.

Perhaps if I talk it out, some sort of further weeding out can get done. I’ll start with the import titles:

IMPORT

PS2
King of Fighters XI – The consensus among gamers who still enjoy the sprite-based series is a big thumbs up. A huge cast, good fighting system, and upgraded Atomiswave board graphics. A domestic release is highly unlikely. As a long time fan that loves sprites, I’m very tempted.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Samurai Spirits Tenkaichi – Not as universally loved as KOF XI, but mostly the same MO except the graphics aren’t as spruced up. If it can be had for a good price I might do it, but it otherwise I can pass.

GBA
Rhythm Tengoku (Heaven) – Music game from some of the Warioware folks. I’m going to check it out in the office before committing though.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Bit Generations series – These simple games have super snazzy packaging, a budget price (although still kinda high for what they are), and are mostly addictive goodness. Again, I’ll have to try them out before getting excited.

US RELEASES

Xbox 360
NBA 2K7 – 9/25 – I liked last year’s version and this year is way better. My play time with the E3 version was lovely. Have to keep this on the list.

Splinter Cell: Double Agent – 10/16 – Chaos Theory finally made me a fan of the Splinter Cell games, so I’m really looking forward to this one. The question is whether the online bits will warrant this title as a long term must own, or just a week long thrill ride. Leaning towards the latter.

Dead or Alive Xtreme 2 – 11/1 – This is a no brainer. I spent over 80 hours on the last one and I’m just retarded for the franchise in general. It’s ridiculous.

Gears of War - 11/7 – The multi-player has me more intrigued than the single player, but the jury is still sort of out. I might be able to skip this one till post holidays because…

Rainbow Six Vegas – 11/7 - …as much as I’m excited for the potential that is Gears of War, I am a rabid fan of Rainbow Six. The offline campaigns are always fun and multi-player rocks ultra hard. Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Star Trek Legacy – 11/7 – Yes, I’m a fan of Trek and totally psyched that all the previous Captains will be voicing their characters for the game. Guess I can wait on this till I know more.

PS2
Yakuza – 9/1 – Gah, I’m not crazy about the US voice dubbing, but I’m glad it’s coming out here. I may just buy the import. Hmmm…

King of Fighters 2006 – 9/4 – I was entertained by the previous 3D version and this one has a ton more to offer. Fighting system seems like it’s still broken though. $39.99 price sure makes this tempting.

Okami – 9/5 – Instant buy. Seriously. This is the type of game I want to see more of.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Rule of Rose – 9/12 – I hate scary movies, but love scary games. Go figure. Rose looks very creepy although I’ve heard it has its share of control problems. Seems like another rental candidate although I’d like to support the decision to release the game here with a purchase.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Final Fantasy XII – 10/31 – I like the character designs, the battle system looks cool, and I feel like I can squeeze one RPG in this year. I can always track this down next year I guess. Ha, next year. That means never I think.

Guitar Hero II - 11/1 – I skipped the first one, but that’s because I had access to borrow it whenever I wanted. I think I need to own this next one. It’ll depend on the tracks though.

DS
Mario Hoops 3-on-3 – 9/11 – Played around with the import version and loved it. Must get.

Cooking Mama – 9/12 – How can you not buy a game called Cooking Mama? Plus it’s only $20.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Contact – 9/19 – I actually don’t know much other than it looks quirky and it’s some sort of graphic adventure or something. Sounds exactly like the type of game I like in my DS library.

Mario vs Donkey Kong 2 – 9/25 – The original was super dope and was the perfect puzzler to pop in at any given time. Must get.

SNK vs Capcom Card Fighters – 10/2 – I liked the Neo Geo pocket version, but so far the screens I’ve seen show little of the personality of that title. Keeping on eye on this one just in case.

Touch Detective – 10/10 – Same reasons as Contact, and “detective” gaming gets a plus one with me. The character designs look nutty too.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Final Fantasy III – 11/1 – 3D remake of a classic FF game? I’m 70% in for sure. The reviews will decide it for me.

Elite Beat Agents – 11/6 – YES, YES, YES. Easily my most anticipated game of this holiday outside of Wii launch titles. Great music game that has new content that differs from Ouendan. The two “stories” I played at E3 were damn good. Funny, and at times, a little emotional. I’m so glad US audiences will have a chance to enjoy it.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin – 11/21 – There’s no rush for me to immediately play it, but it would be wise to snatch it up judging by the frequent “sold out” status of the Dawn of Sorrow.

Hotel Dusk: Room 215 – 12/1 – Same genre as Touch Detective, but much grittier looking. Maybe someone can revive JB Harold Murder Club too?
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


PSP
Loco Roco – 9/5 – Has some blobby things, is sort of a puzzler, and is loved by lovers of interesting games. In.

Capcom Classics Reloaded – 10/24 – The first classics collection for PSP is beyond great. I will gladly take more.

Metal Slug Anthology – 11/1 – I’m undecided if I want this collection for PSP or Wii. I think I would play it more on the go though.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Every Extend Extra – 11/7 – Looks like Missile Command on acid set to groovy tunes. I’m pretty sure I’ll get it.

Sega Genesis Collection – 11/7 –Shinobi III is the height of the series, I’d really like to play Shadow Dancer again, and it’s just mind blowing to have access to Phantasy Star II, III, and IV on one disc. Where is Streets of Rage and Revenge of Shinobi? Probably in Collection 2.

3 comments:

Jakanden said...

You suffer from the same affliction as me. I have so many games I want to play and no time to play them all. What I ended up doing is looking for the unique ones (like Okami, Psychonauts) and getting rid of "Just more of the same with better graphics games".

Frosty said...

I'm so happy that Wat listed my game on his PSP list: Sega Genesis Collection. Everyone should go out and buy two copies once it comes out.

Montry said...

That's a long list Wat. We should definitely play some 2k7 against each other when it is released. I still play 2k6 everyday.