Monday, October 09, 2006

Resisting PlayStation 3


As soon as the PS3 price was announced back in May, I knew there was no way I would get one at launch. $600 was just too much. More importantly, the launch games didn’t do anything for me. Would I like to play Ridge Racer 7 and Resistance? Yeah…eventually.

There are games scheduled for next year that I will desperately want like Virtua Fighter 5, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, MGS 4, Final Fantasy, and White Knight Story. I figured next holiday is probably the right time.

You know what though? The PS3 will not be much cheaper by then. Even if it’s $100 less, I’m still not sure it’s worth it. I can’t believe it, but I may actually wait till 2008 for PS3.

Let me tell you, this is a big deal for me. Ever since the release of the NES, I’ve purchased game consoles within 3 months of launch, usually launch day. There are some exceptions. I waited a year and a half before getting an Atari 2600 (that was out of my control though since I was very young), I waited until Mario Kart was released before buying a SNES (that was because I used to be a staunch Sega fanboy), and I didn’t get a Turbografx until it was near the end of its life (I bought the TurboDuo model because I needed to play Dracula X). Others, I never remotely wanted like the Jaguar or 3DO.

Even as I type this, news that PS3 pre-orders might happen soon have started to make me sweat. Should I try to get one anyway? I would never buy one to re-sell (I think it creates bad game karma), so this would be for my personal gaming enjoyment. Hmmm, let’s see. Looks like Oblivion is a launch title now. I never got around to buying the 360 version and this one is supposedly a little nicer. NBA 2K7 also sports some upgrades. Um…what else. Oh, by the time Virtua Fighter 5 and Ninja Gaiden come out in the spring, the PS3 still might be impossible to find, so there’s some logic in picking one up if one has the chance now.

Ummm…naw. I can’t do it. I’ll tell you one thing I’ll purchase right away, a Virtua Fighter 5 arcade stick. I’m so glad I bought the Dead or Alive 4 stick when it first came out, because it is impossible to find now at a decent price. It goes for nearly $100 at auctions these days.

5 comments:

Montry said...

You are very strong to resist getting one Wat!! I am a weakling. In fact, in just a few hours I am going to drive around to see if anybody has actually start lining up for the preorders. I can't be left behind!!!

Wataru Maruyama said...

Did you end up reserving one? What games are you going to get?

Anonymous said...

yeah, the wii preorders are going up friday. if you haven't heard.

by the way, you have a great blog. i wish i was as dedicated. my blog is like a spastic clusterfuck.

carry on.

Montry said...

Yea I got my reserve in after much drama (security kicked us off the property saying that we could not be at the mall until 8am and then when we were inside the mall at 8am, they kicked us out again saying we could not be in the mall until the 10am open) but I got it! Looks like there will be more drama come friday morning for the Wii!!

Wataru Maruyama said...

Yeah I got the EB email, so I'm definitely heading out for some Wii. I just have to decide which store to do the pre-order at.

The EB newsletter said the numbers are extremely limited, but I thought each store is getting something like 50. Maybe not for pre-orders at this time perhaps. I'll have to make some calls and keep an eye on the message boards.