Friday, December 08, 2006


Namco recently announced they will release an arcade port of Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection for download on PS3. I love this idea for three reasons:

1) The Tekken 6 PS3 gameplay snippet from E3 earlier this year was underwhelming to say the least. Especially compared to how incredible Virtua Fighter 5 looked. Releasing DR buys Namco more time to keep working on Tekken 6.

2) I really wanted to buy DR for the PSP. Tekken 5 for PS2 is my second favorite Tekken ever (part 2 still holds the top spot for sentimental reasons), so I was very tempted even though the additions didn’t add up to much. I think the hit in graphics and the clunkiness of playing a fighting game on the PSP held me back. Now DR will look as good as it can and on a system I can hook an arcade stick to.

3) DR for download potentially opens the door for 1080p Soul Calibur 3. That rumored 360 version didn’t materialize (or was that an April Fool’s joke?), so having that game achieve it’s full potential visually would be nice. Having spent so much time with SC II on the Xbox, I was deeply disappointed by the visuals for 3 on PS2. The broken gameplay didn’t help either, but I could have stuck with it longer if it looked better. Yes, such are the whims of a graphics whore.

Aside from that, just trying to finish Gears on hardcore and play some Rainbow Six online (it’s not as popular among my friends as I had thought). I’ll be able to borrow a PS3 here and there, so maybe I’ll finish Resistance before Xmas. During the holidays is when I’ll embark on my Twilight Princess campaign. I’ve been waiting until I can concentrate fully on that game before starting, and that time is nearing.

I’ve seen the comparison between the 360 and PS3 versions of Ridge Racer that make it look about the same, if not better on the 360. On my TV, the game looks much better on the PS3. Maybe it’s the 1080p that’s making it look ultra sharp? Whenever I eventually buy my own PS3 (probably next Xmas), I’ll grab Ridge Racer 7 for my library.

NBA 07 looks and plays much better than I would have imagined, but it’s really no match for NBA 2K7.

I applied the 1080 update to my 360, but it’s not like I will see any real difference until games that support it get released. I definitely decided the HD-DVD add-on was not for me. The selection of HD-DVD titles is what sealed it for me. There is maybe one movie out of the currently available bunch worth buying. Even on Blu-ray there aren’t more than a handful I want, mainly because these are first run editions. Hardly any special features and over-priced. Plus, many sport mastering that is drawing mediocre reviews from the home theater crowd. Better HD authoring and “real” special editions are still one to two years away most likely.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Instead, I opted for the Oppo DV-981HD upconverting player. It was just released this week and already drawing rave reviews. The previous models were big hits, but I’m excited about this new one since it now upconverts to 1080p (perhaps I should change the name of the blog to 1080p Ninja).

No comments: