Friday, February 02, 2007

Castlevania Redemption

Flashback many moons ago when I was but a poor college student trying to feed my gaming habit. At the time, I had in my possession a Turbo Duo, Dracula X: Rondo of Blood, Fatal Fury Special, and the turbo arcade card (which added extra RAM allowing great ports such as Street Fighter II CE and Fatal Fury).

You probably have an inlking of how coveted the Duo Dracula X was, but I also greatly loved the Duo version of FF Special as it contained an excellent CD arranged soundtrack (which was more robust than the NeoGeo CD version and didn’t have ridiculous loading times) and was graphically very close to the original coin-op. There was talk of near perfect ports of Samurai Shodown and other Neo games supporting the arcade card, but it never happened. But I digress.

Like many budget gamers, I eventually had to sell this prize package off to buy new games. Even then I dreaded that day and it was magnified as time went on. After entering the full-time work force, I was able to soothe my Fatal Fury Special loss when I secured a NeoGeo home system (getting one used in Japan was fairly cheap, as was all the early Neo games I wanted like Samurai Shodown 1 & 2, Magician Lord, etc). By this time, the asking price on the Duo Dracula X was just ridiculous. I told myself to get over it because I had probably played through that game at minimum 30-40 times. At most, I would want one more play through for nostalgia sake. Is that one time worth hundreds of dollars?

Thankfully, there have been many great Castlevania games such as Symphony of the Night, the three GBA versions, and now two DS entries.

I didn’t realize how that past regret still gnawed at me until I heard the news today that not only is the original Rondo of Blood coming to the PSP, but it will also be remade in 3D/2D. To top it off, Symphony of the Night is also included. A simultaneous relief and excitement washed over me.


It wasn’t long before conflicting feelings arose. I still have Symphony of the Night for the PlayStation. Plus, I was thinking of going for the 360 version because achievement points are a great excuse to play through the entire game. I guess it depends on what the proposed bonus/updates are for Symphony PSP.


I clicked back at the sample gameplay video for the Rondo remake and everything became simple again. That sweet, sweet soundtrack was all I needed to re-assure me that the game is a must have. Plus the added alternate paths in the remake are awesome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wataru I always enjoy your blog because it's so much fun and informative. I overjoyed learning this two great castlevania is coming to the psp. One more reason to buy a psp.

Saya