Monday, February 12, 2007

Rocky path to Oblivion


Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion for the 360 was easily in the top 5 of games I wished I could have played last year. I was so sure a purchase was imminent I bought the Prima guide for it a week before the game came out. Then...I don’t know what happened exactly. I was always busy with another game or work or whatever. (Note: I was going to buy the regular edition and not the limited one that came with a map and mini book. The reasoning was instead of paying $10 extra bucks for useless LE crap, I could pay $20 for a huge 400 page guide).

Now that the PS3 version is less than a month away, I have a new choice and renewed incentive to check that world out. So which version to get? Let’s look at the known stats:

Price
360 - $59.99
PS3 - $59.99
Winner – PS3
It’s hard to believe there hasn’t been an official price drop for the 360 yet. If you look really hard for sales, the 360 version might be had $49, but the PS3 gets an extra edge when you factor in the $20 it costs you to add Knights of the Nine to the 360 version (it’s included in the base PS3 game). Nine was free for a week during Christmas, but that doesn’t help me now.

Graphics
This is impossible to judge until the PS3 version comes out and people start doing apples to apples screen comparisons. The PS3 will have new shaders and further draw distances. Many of this will be implemented in the 360 expansion pack, but I’m not sure if these upgrades will affect the original game. Due to the HDMI cable, I’m inclined to think the PS3 will look sharper by a hair regardless.
Winner – Too early

Loading
According to the latest developer interviews, the PS3 loads much faster than the 360 version. This is easily the most compelling bonus so far. There are few things more annoying than long load times.
Winner – PS3

I’m going to break down the other deciding factors by system.

Xbox 360
- Controller is far better than PS3
- Achievement points baby
- Ability to buy add-ons right away if desired
- Shivering Isles expansion available in March
- I can go out and buy the game right now if I want
- Some cheat/glitches I could exploit if I wanted that are fixed in the PS3 version (doubt I would want to do it though)

PS3
- Whenever add-ons are available, spacious 60GB drive will be handy
- Again, 60GB will be lovely for Shivering Isles expansion
- Lots of fixed bugs

Hmmm. I’m still not sure what I’ll do. The point is moot until I beat Twilight Princess and that is still 20+ hours away. It will be hard to jump right back into another game with a massive time commitment.

My goal is to jam and finish Zelda before Virtua Fighter 5 drops on PS3.

UPDATE: As I was posting this, news came out today that Super Paper Mario for the Wii has an official release date of April 9th. Considering I'm definitely going to be playing God of War II on March 13, Oblivion just can’t seem to catch any breaks.

No comments: