Friday, March 16, 2007

Upgrade to uncompressed PCM?

The PS3 already made me get a 1080p TV and now it looks like I also have to invest in a receiver that can process uncompressed PCM via HDMI (“process” being the key here and not simply pass the signal through). You can read more about it HERE.

I was able to get a small taste of uncompressed PCM via the optical cables, but it downgrades it to stereo instead of full surround. So I started looking around for receivers and they aren’t cheap. Decent ones start around $300 and go skyward from there.


At this point, I don’t think I can justify it. I only have a handful of Blu-ray discs and the only PS3 game that features uncompressed PCM is Resistance.
Two good reasons to wait are that receiver prices fall quite quickly, and one of the other new audio standards DTS Master Audio is not yet available in current receivers. Such receivers will come out eventually and it would pay off to wait I think.

No comments: