Saturday, May 19, 2007

StarCraft II revealed = PC/Mac purchase to follow

So yeah, all that hemming and hawing about whether to give up on PC gaming is at a clear and decisive end. Whenever StarCraft II is about to hit stores is when I buy a new PC. Or perhaps a new Mac? I played the original StarCraft and Diablo II on Macs so that combo does give me the warm fuzzies. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, but I can't tell you how psyched I am (as are millions of other SC fans across the globe).

I was almost dreading logging on this morning. If the next StarCraft was a MMO, I don’t know what would have happened. It’s probably going to become a reality eventually, but at least there is one last hurrah like Warcraft III to go back and play.

Now the long wait for release date info begins. With previous Blizzard games, the release of the title can be upwards of 2+ years after the initial announcement. Knowing the stakes involved to make sure SC II is well balanced for multiplayer, that wait could potentially be even longer.

I’m just hoping SC II has been in the cooker for so long that it’s pretty much done and public/closed beta testing will start soon. Is an early 2008 release or (gasp) December 2007 bow an impossible dream?

No comments: