Monday, July 23, 2007

Weddings and HD purchases

Thinking about how many DVDs I regret buying, I’m looking at the upcoming release list for both Blu-ray and HD-DVD with a super critical eye. I’m on the fence about Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. I loved Shaun, but not sure if I really need to own it. I haven’t seen Fuzz, so most likely will rent it from Netflix first.

Of course 300 is a definite buy. Even though the HD-DVD version has some extra interactive content, I have to go Blu-ray because of the audio. The Xbox 360 HD-DVD player does not support Dolby TrueHD (even with the HDMI on the Elite), but the PS3 does. For me, the best possible audio is more important than extra special features I’ll view only once.

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within will most likely get purchased although I might wait for reviews on pic quality to pop up. The story wasn’t that great, but damn it should look and sound amazing on Blu-ray. I’m glad I waited on the special edition of The Wild Bunch since the Blu-ray version was finally announced last week. It comes out September 25th with all the content from the SE. Very excited.

Wedding Season
I went to my friend Pete’s wedding two weeks ago, but hadn’t gotten around to getting the pics off my camera till now. It was an awesome wedding and I got to see a lot of people I haven’t talked to in a while.

Tops on that list is the man of many talents Nate Denver.

There were also other shady characters floating around.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Maruyama, perhaps you could advise me. I have a plasma HDTV and am content to receive OTA HD signals. I bit old fashioned, but . . .
My wife and I are content to record OTA programming via VCR's and rent DVD's. My next purchase may be a Blue Ray DVD player from Sony.

What do you advise for future recording of HD signals come Feb. 2009? Can one use TIVO's high def recording unit WITHOUT subscribing for services? I've been told the only other alternative is a used Sony high def DVR.

thanks for you assistance in advance.

zvisitor@sbcglobal.net