Thursday, May 22, 2008

Baseball cards and dried fruit

So what’s been going on? It’s kind of all over the map. So in no particular order, some other random stuff since the last post:

Dried fruit – I don’t know why, but I was eating a lot of it for awhile. Pineapples, papaya, whatever. I think that craving has passed mostly.

Subway’s Pastrami sandwich – I haven’t eaten at Subway regularly in years, but their new pastrami is great. The combination of decent hot pastrami and loads of subway veggies is quite pleasing.

Baseball cards – I was cleaning out my stuff from my mom’s house and happened across a ton of my old baseball cards. On paper (and according to some grading sites) I have some decently valued cards, but they can be had for far cheaper online. eBay is the real bellwether of card value and it appears the industry still has not recovered from the crash in the early 90s. It does put what cards I find most valuable in perspective. Even though the values have gone way down, my favorite cards are still my Will Clark rookie collection. You gotta collect what you like and not chase after players as an investment because you never know.

Rummaging through all those old cards got me in the mood to check out some new cards. I picked up a few packs of 2008 Topps and Upperdeck. Although they were all very shiny and nice looking cards, that same magic just wasn’t there. Then I decided to try out buying specific players. Bought a quartet of Ichiro rookie cards (Upper Deck, Donruss, Bowman, Topps) for pretty cheap. Like Will Clark, Ichiro is one of my favorite players and the value of the cards doesn’t matter to me. Looking at the Ichiro cards finally did bring back the good baseball card feelings. After that mini-spree though, I think I’m done for awhile. I might start buying some more whenever Kaz is old enough to be interested in baseball cards. He’s certainly going to inherit a decent stash of older cards from me. Maybe at least a handful will be worth more than $10 by then.

No comments: