Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Catching up

I greatly desired the original iPhone, but the high price was just too much. Now the price is right even though the data plan eats up the savings. At least it’s spread out. I was lucky that I only had to wait a little over 2 hours on launch weekend to get my 3G iPhone and it was a brisk 5 minutes to activate. I use the damn thing so much! Now they just need to release better games and I’ll be set.

This is somewhat old news, but I beat Metal Gear Solid 4. Absolutely loved it. I actually started another game to fully explore the levels and unlock more items. I have yet to try MGS Online, but it sounds neat and they already released an expansion that lets you play as Meryl! The expansion did cause some crashes with the system, so it’s probably best to wait a bit before jumping in.

Aside from MGS 4, the remainder of my gaming is all about Soul Calibur IV. I’m totally addicted to unlocking new items for character customization/creation.

I’m very excited Power Pro is back again this year. I’m planning on picking up the PS2 version (can’t beat $19.99) and perhaps the DS version when it’s released later this month. The PS2 will be used for quick pick-up games at the house while the DS is going to be more convenient for me to enjoy the deep Success, Season, and MLB Life modes when traveling or similar situations.

I’m also very happy that the PS2 in general is getting some great support. The PS3 plays my games just fine, but I just really still enjoy using the PS2 slim. While it’s nice that most of the top franchises make a latter gen appearance (Call of Duty, Bond, Tomb Raider), it’s the niche titles like Eternal Poison and Persona 4 (basically anything from Atlus) that are most appealing. I’m also looking forward to Yakuza 2 (yay for Japanese language with English subtitles!), Samurai Shodown anthology, and most any other SNK collection they can manage to release. There are also no shortage of titles already out that I haven’t picked up yet like Rule of Rose and Persona 3 FES. Great games for affordable prices!

2 comments:

Montry Souvanthong said...

Hola Wat!! It's Montry. How's your baby son doing? I am sure Kent has told you but I have a little girl of my own about the same age. I hope all is well with you and your family.

I also wanted to let you know that I have not given up on my dreams of having a career in the video game industry! I am currently employed at Sony doing some QA testing and the last game I tested was Yakuza 2. It is a great game with a lot to do but it's very similar to the first game. I will say that it is A LOT longer than the first though.

Anywho, hopefully I see you around, take care Wat!

Wataru Maruyama said...

Awesome, great to hear from you! Yeah heard about your wonderful baby news. Taking care of him definitely cuts into gaming and blogging time, but of course it's worth it.