Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Let's talk about cameras

I've always loved cameras and photography, but never really took things "to the next level". By that I mean really studied up on techniques or invested in expensive equipment. I was lucky that my first camera was a Canon EOS 650, a big and sturdy SLR that took amazing pictures. The only downside was that it was rather large for a young dude to heft around all the time. It was constructed very well and lasted me years. When I finally got into digital, it was all about the coolest, smallest thing available.

Now that I'm taking tons of photos and videos of my son, image quality has taken greater importance. At the same time I wanted my cake and eat it too by having a camera that can take great HD video. My current camera does a great job at both, but it's a super zoom so it's almost the size of a large DSLR. I'm kind of in the same situation where I don't feel like lugging the thing around all the time.

Enter the Olympus Pen EP1 which was officially announced yesterday and comes out in July. You can read everything you need to know about it here and here. The big news is that it is a fairly compact camera, but with a SLR sensor for maximum picture quality. Much greater than I have now. It takes the HD video I need (720p at 30 fps) and it looks DAMN sexy.

Of course the camera is a bit on the pricey side, but it's not outrageous for what it is. You do have to buy a flash for it since there is none built in.

It also comes in white, but I definitely want the silver one with the cool brown casing and strap. I just recently went through a cycle of selling off my older camera for the one I have so it's very early to think of upgrading already. Still, it's going to be hard to resist come July.

Currently I'm halfway through my second book on photography and looking to read through at least two more soon. Already that extra bit of knowledge is paying off with some much better and interesting photos. The one downside is that knowing a lot more really exposes the limitations of my current camera and the exciting possibilities of using something like the EP1.

No comments: